What to Workout with Chest
With so many exercises to choose from it is hard to know which exercises are most effective when concentrating on a certain parts of the body. For those that want to focus on the chest and are wondering what to workout with chest, here are a few exercises to get you headed in the right direction.
Chest workouts for men and women
Men and women are built so differently and may therefore want to implement different chest exercises to get different results.
One of the common chest workouts for men is the close-grip weighted push up.
- Keep your hands narrow keeping them only 6 inches apart and arms fully extended. This will force your inner pecs to work harder.
- Slowly lower yourself down and push your body up.
- To increase difficulty, simply add weight by wearing a weighted vest or, if that is not an option, have your partner place weight or a sandbag wearing across your back.
Forward-Leaning Dip is another workout when trying to find what to workout with chest. Rather than the normal upright position of this exercise that focuses on using the triceps, this one works more of the chest
- Simply get in the upright position by pushing up, locking your elbows, and crossing the legs behind you.
- Tighten the core, hamstrings, and glutes.
- Have your training partner tilt you to 30 degrees to the ground.
- Lower yourself so that your shoulders eventually become lower than elbows or when there is a good stretch across chest.
- To add more challenge, add chains or a belt with weights.
Women may want to try the Medicine Ball Push-Ups.
- Begin with one hand on floor and one on the medicine ball.
- Keep the core tight and maintain a straight line when lowering and returnign to starting position.
- Repeat the correct number or repetitions and then switch sides.
Another common chest workout is the Dumbbell Fly.
- Find the correct weight of dumbbells to begin this exercise.
- Lie with your back on the bench and feet flat on the floor.
- Extend your arms above your head with the dumbbells but keep a slight bend in your elbows.
- Lower the weights to the sides until they are at an even height with your chest.
- Keep the arms bent and press the weights back up to starting position.
Know your limits
When finding what to workout with chest, keep in mind that every body is different and it takes time to see changes. If these exercises are new, it is best to start with light enough weights and then gradually increase. You do not want any injuries before (or after) you see results.