Make the most out of exercise bikes
Exercise bikes are one of the best investments you can make. Having your own exercise bike can really help keep up your daily fitness regime. They are cheaper and take up less space than other gym equipment. Using an exercise bike is a great way to burn calories and get a cardiovascular workout.
Here are a few tips to get the most out of your exercise bikes workout...
- Warm up before you start. Do a few simple stretches then start at a relaxed pace. Strained or pulled muscles are painful and can prevent you from exercising for weeks after.
- If you're new to biking, start with 10 minute sessions. This will prevent local muscle fatigue (AKA sore legs!). Try doing three 10 minute sessions a day for the first week. On the second week, try two 20 minute sessions. If you like, you can build this into one 45 minute or hour long session.
- The most effective way to exercise on a bike is to do intervals. This involves cycling as fast as you can for 30 seconds, slow down for one minute and repeat. Gradually increase the total length of time you spend on the bike.
- At the end of the session, cool down with some easy pedalling. This will help to minimise aches and pains.
- Stay motivated by keeping entertained. Install a book rack and read or study while cycling, put on some music or watch your favourite TV show. The important thing is that you enjoy your workout, otherwise you're not likely to keep it up.
What to look for when shopping for exercise bikes
- Adjustable seat, peddles and handlebars
- Money back guarantee
- Conforms to safety regulations and legislation
- A timer to track your workout
- A good range of difficulty settings
- Pulse monitor (entirely optional)
- A reading stand so you can stay entertained while working out