4-7-8 yoga breath benefits
Breathing properly can have a lot of benefits. Whether you are stressed or anxious over something, yoga breathing, specifically, is really good for you. In particular, we take a look at the 4-7-8 technique and breath benefits that it can bring. See how certain breathing techniques can actually help you improve your physical and mental well-being.
Practicing the 4-7-8 breath technique has benefits for you as follows:
- Relaxes you thoroughly and relieves anxiety
- Helps you get over panic attacks
- Assists in getting a good night's sleep
- Lowers blood pressure and heart rate over time
- Takes away cravings for certain things such as chocolates, cigarettes or even medication.
The 4-7-8 technique can be done in any position such as standing, lying down or sitting. Hence, you can relax in any position. Moreover, it only takes a few minutes each day to do this breathing exercise. In effect, it is a very powerful and effective technique that can assist you get through many things in life whether it is stress or an important decision you have to make.
Yoga breathing can help in specific situations such childbirth or sports where breathing properly is critical.
How to do it
- Begin by letting out all the air through your mouth.
- Close your mouth. In the meantime raise your tongue till it touches the roof of the mouth.
- Inhale through the nose at the count of 4.
- Hold your breath counting until 7.
- Exhale through the mouth at the count of 8.
- Repeat the above for at least 4 breath cycles.
Do the exercise regularly
Note that regularity is key to the success of the 4-7-8 breathing technique. Do this at least twice a day, but not more than 4 breath cycles at one time. Over time (after 8 weeks), you can do 8 breath cycles at once but not more than this number. The 4-7-8 breath benefits are enormous and you can take advantage of this method to improve your health condition.